Sunday, March 31, 2013

BREATHLESS by Brigid Kemmerer

Breathless
Brigid Kemmerer

Rating: A
Release Date: 04/30/13
Synopsis:
Too many secrets. Not enough time.

Nick Merrick is supposed to be the level-headed one. The peacemaker. Since it’s just him and his three hotheaded brothers against the world, that’s a survival tactic.

But now he’s got problems even his brothers can’t help him survive.

His so-called girlfriend, Quinn, is going quick as mercury from daring to crazy. Meanwhile, Quinn’s dancer friend Adam is throwing Nick off balance, forcing him to recognize a truth he’d rather shove back into the dark.

He can feel it—-the atmosphere is sizzling. Danger is on the way. But whatever happens next, Nick is starting to find out that sometimes nothing you do can keep the peace.


My thoughts on the book:
Breathless shocked me a bit, but I must commend Kemmerer for taking on controversial social issues in this novella. The pages flew by, and I couldn't put this book down. The character development was INSANE considering how short this story was. I can't believe how much I learned about Nick and Quinn in such a short installment. 

I feel like I understand Quinn better now, but she's still not my favorite character in the series. I don't dislike her, and I can relate to her, but I wish she'd move past her anger. I know it's not a quick process, but I'd like to see her find some peace before the series is out. Hopefully that happens. 

I also want Nick to find some peace and self-acceptance. I had no idea the kinds of things he was dealing with. I feel really badly for him. It's just shocking that in this day and age, people are still treated in such a way that they feel the need to lie to themselves in order to stay safe. I hope Nick works things out and that life works out for him, and I hope we get to see that happen before the series finale. 

Adam was an interesting character that I'd like to see more of. I know that Spirit is a Hunter book, and he hasn't met Adam yet, but maybe we can still get to know more about him. He's had it rough, too, but he seems like a fantastic character. 

In order not to spoil this for those who haven't read it yet, I'm going to end my review here. This series is a must read for all YA paranormal fans, and this novella is extremely important to both the series and society. Well done, Brigid. 

Pre-order Breathless today!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!