Sunday, April 14, 2013

TWICE TEMPTED by Jeaniene Frost

Twice Tempted
Jeaniene Frost

Rating: A+
Synopsis:Dating the Prince of Darkness has its challenges...

Leila's psychic abilities have been failing her, and now she isn't sure what the future holds. If that weren't enough, her lover, Vlad, has been acting distant. Though Leila is a mere mortal, she's also a modern woman who refuses to accept the cold shoulder treatment forever–especially from the darkly handsome vampire who still won't admit that he loves her.

Like choosing between eternal love and a loveless eternity...

Soon circumstances send Leila back to the carnival circuit, where tragedy strikes. And when she finds herself in the crosshairs of a killer who may be closer than she realizes, Leila must decide who to trust– the fiery vampire who arouses her passions like no other or the tortured knight who longs to be more than a friend? With danger stalking her every step of the way, all it takes is one wrong move to damn her for eternity.


My thoughts on the book:
I went into Twice Tempted with super high hopes because I love Jeaniene Frost's writing. Her sardonic and twisted sense of humor can always make me laugh, and I simply adore all of her characters. Twice Tempted dpes not disappoint. This is, by far, one of the best novels I've read all year. The character growth alone blows other novels out of the water, not to mention the plot and writing style. This is one book and series that cannot be missed. If you're a fan of the Night Huntress series, then you HAVE to check out the Night Prince trilogy. 

Leila proves that she is a strong character in this novel, and I admire her for her refusal to settle for less than she deserves. She's a fun character who is different from Cat, but just as likable in her own way. Her loyalty to those she cares about is touching, and her willingness to accept the good in people when she's constantly faced with the worst is inspiring. She makes a few stubborn and dumb mistakes, but we all make those from time to time. I really enjoy her voice and reading from her perspective. She grows a lot in this novel, and I respect her even more now. 

Vlad is probably my favorite character in the Night Huntress world. I love him even more than Bones, I think (but just barely). His ruthlessness is somehow endearing, and loyalty won me over early on in the Night Huntress series. The fact that he's been so damaged but can still care so deeply is really beautiful. He comes a long way in this novel, and Leila really seems to bring out the best in him. He's a good, strong leading character, but still cruel as a vampire should be. 


I enjoyed getting to know some of the secondary characters more. We get to see a lot more of Gretchen and Maximus. Gretchen impressed me quite a few times, and I really hope she plays an even bigger part in the third book. Maximus didn't blow me away, but at least I know more about him now. As with the main characters, the secondary characters are well-developed and have individual, unique personalities. 

The plot is full of suspense. There is quite a bit of action, but I wouldn't say it's action-packed. There is a ton of romance, some sweet and some steamy, and some mystery thrown in for good measure. Frost surprised me on a few occasions, and though I did see the big reveal coming, I wasn't sure how it would be accomplished. The ending is a bit of a cliffhanger, and I can't wait to see how this trilogy ends. I hate that there will only be three books because I think I love this series a little more than the Night Huntress series, but if Frost feels that the story should end after three books, then more novels shouldn't be forced. Whenever an author forces a story, it ends up bad, which ruins the entire series. So I'll be happy with an amazing trilogy and not whine too much about there not being more books. I'm sure Leila and Vlad will make cameos in the Night Huntress series anyway. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book, and any book by Ms. Frost, to anyone who loves a kick ass heroine and a hot yet tormented hero. This series (as well as her other series) are not to be missed. She's a fantastic writer, and every novel she writes will grab you and not let you go. Check out Once Burned and Twice Tempted today.

Order Twice Tempted!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!