Wednesday, June 5, 2013

ANOTHER LITTLE PIECE by Kate Karyus Quinn

Another Little Piece
Kate Karyus Quinn

Rating: B+
Release Date: 06/11/13
Synopsis:
The spine-tingling horror of Stephen King meets an eerie mystery worthy of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series in Kate Karyus Quinn's haunting debut.

On a cool autumn night, Annaliese Rose Gordon stumbled out of the woods and into a high school party. She was screaming. Drenched in blood. Then she vanished.

A year later, Annaliese is found wandering down a road hundreds of miles away. She doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know how she got there. She only knows one thing: She is not the real Annaliese Rose Gordon.

Now Annaliese is haunted by strange visions and broken memories. Memories of a reckless, desperate wish . . . a bloody razor . . . and the faces of other girls who disappeared. Piece by piece, Annaliese's fractured memories come together to reveal a violent, endless cycle that she will never escape—unless she can unlock the twisted secrets of her past.


My thoughts on the book:
I went into Another Little Piece thinking that it'd be a mystery more than a horror story... I was mistaken. This book seriously creeped me out! It was well-written, and the character-development and world-building were unbelievably good, but it was creepy. If you don't like scary books, I'd say stay away from this one. For the rest of you, if you're looking for something unique and intriguing, then this is definitely the book for you. 

Annaliese is an extremely complex and flawed character. I was able to achieve a willing suspension of disbelief, so I bought who she was, but I couldn't really relate to her. Even though this book was narrated first person, I couldn't connect to Annaliese enough to feel like I was living vicariously through her. Also, the more I learned about her, the less I liked her and sympathized with her. That being said, I had to know what happened to her, so she was an interesting character, at least. I liked Dex quite a bit, but like Annaliese, he was not how he seemed at first. The rest of the characters were also believable and well-developed. 

The plot was unique, mysterious, and captivating. The pacing was pretty spot-on. Quinn kept the bits of information pretty evenly spaced through Annaliese's memories, though I felt like things were revealed a little slowly at times. While that maintained the mystery, it also made me want to "cheat" and skip ahead to see what was going on. The character relationships, in my opinion, were a bit under-developed, but the novel held my interest. 

Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good horror/mystery story with a supernatural twist. This will surely be one of the most popular horror novels of the summer. 

Pre-order Another Little Piece!



2 comments:

  1. I couldn't really relate to her either, but I didn't really mind it because I was so intrigued by what was going on. I loved this one, too! I really hope your last line is right. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a hard review for me to write because I didn't want to give anything away in my plot paragraph.

      I hope it's right, too. It seems like the perfect summer-time-reading-scary-story to me!

      Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!