Sunday, August 5, 2018

THE DISAPPEARANCE OF SLOANE SULLIVAN by GIA CRIBBS

Rating: A+
Synopsis:
No one wants me to tell you about the disappearance of Sloane Sullivan.

Not the lawyers or the cops. Not her friends or family. Not even the boy who loved her more than anyone. And most certainly not the United States Marshals Service. You know, the people who run the witness protection program or, as it’s officially called, the Witness Security Program? Yeah, the WITSEC folks definitely don’t want me talking to you.

But I don’t care. I have to tell someone.

If I don’t, you’ll never know how completely wrong things can go. How a single decision can change everything. How, when it really comes down to it, you can’t trust anyone. Not even yourself. You have to understand, so it won’t happen to you next. Because you never know when the person sitting next to you isn’t who they claim to be...and because there are worse things than disappearing.


My thoughts on the book:
Wow. This book seriously blew my mind. I sat down not really knowing what I was getting into, and from the prologue to the epilogue, I could not put my Kindle down. I even read while I ate lunch. I have never read a book quite like this one. Cribbs has earned a spot on my favorite authors list. The emotional depth in these characters and in their relationships is stunning and realistic and raw and painful and beautiful. The descriptions and Sloane's perceptions and everything just make this book so real. I fell for the lies right along with Sloane. I fell for everything. There was a surprise around every corner, and while I suspected one of the big reveals, I wasn't expecting it to be SUCH a big reveal. This is a novel that will grab you and not let you go until the very last page. Cribbs' beautiful writing style, the flawless weaving together of the past and present, and the constant surprises will captivate any reader. If you only read one book this year, it needs to be this one. 

Sloane is the narrator, and while she's not 100% trustworthy, you can't help but believe her as she draws you into her story. It's clear from the start that she is a strong, logical, and good heroine. She is just one of those people who radiates goodness. She wants to do the right thing, and it's important to her. Her integrity is obvious early on, and that really gives the reader a sense of trust. We need more YA heroines like Sloane, to be honest. She never once complained, and she never acted like some boy crazy teenage girl (I hate when teenage girls are depicted that way). Mark is a really complex character, but I couldn't help but love him and feel sympathy for him as his story unfolded. Jason is wonderful and amazing. Even the crappy people in the novel are so wonderfully developed that you just feel something for them because they feel real. That is so hard for authors to accomplish, and Cribbs did so flawlessly. 

The story itself is so complex and intrinsically woven that you will be immersed in this world full of deceit, murder, and treachery before you realize it. Everyone seems so "normal" on the surface, but as their demons are uncovered, you quickly learn that nothing is what it seems. I am in awe of the emotional depth that Cribbs was able to convey, not just from the characters, but the strong emotional bonds between characters, as well. I laughed and cried and smiled and held my breath in suspense more times than I can count in the 5 or so hours it took me to read this book. The reveals and surprises were believable, though some things seemed ridiculously convenient, it all made sense, and it was certainly plausible that things would work out that way, especially with certain explanations at certain points throughout the novel. Therefore, I was easily able to suspend my disbelief and dive head-first into the story. Not only was the story itself amazing, but the ending was a wonderful surprise. Everything about this book was just beautiful, heartfelt, and real. Words can't express how much I loved it. 

Obviously I'd recommend this book to anyone. If you enjoy any kind of YA novel, especially, you will adore this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!