Monday, February 13, 2012

Interview with Jodi Meadows

Hey everybody! It's time for another interview! This one is with Jodi Meadows who wrote the recently published book, Incarnate. Jodi was kind enough to answer some questions about the book for me. This novel is amazing! I recommend everyone read it ASAP.


Question: Incarnate is a deeply philosophical book for the YA genre. Do you have an interest from philosophy/pull from certain philosophies in creating this world and the creatures that reside in it?


Answer: I don't think I have a particularly unusual interest in philosophy, though like most writers, I find myself interested in a lot of things. I like learning and asking questions. I like thinking about things that most people would see as unusual.


Q: What made you choose to set Incarnate in a Utopian society instead of in a major US city?


A: I actually thought about putting INCARNATE in a pre-existing city... but then realized if I did, it wouldn't be the story I wanted to tell. In order to create a community of reincarnated souls, I had to have few enough people there would be a sense of community. (And big enough they could deal with the potential for inbreeding and other things we don't like to think about.)

I also had to consider what kind of city a society of reincarnated souls might build: something long-lasting, clean, beautiful, and with lots of recycling. (They are big on recycling!) The people of Range tend to think not only of this lifetime, but the next several as well.


Q: What time period is Incarnate set in? Some things in the book seemed a bit old fashioned, but then the scientific advancements and the cars (and society evolving past using cars) seemed almost futuristic.


A: It's both. This isn't our world (or if it is, my how it's changed!). They've had five thousand years to evolve, build technology, and no information is ever lost. Think of how far our world would be if we didn't keep losing information!

But this is a society of super old people. Some are more open to change than others. While they have the potential to grow quickly in some ways, in many others, they don't. (Or won't.)

Q: I couldn’t get a clear picture of the clothes while reading the book. Were the clothes worn by the characters what we would think of as modern, everyday clothes, or were they closer to another era’s clothes?

A: They all walk around naked. 

(Kidding.)

Their clothes are, most importantly, comfortable and durable. (We tend to feel good if a new shirt lasts a couple years before the seams start coming out. They would view it as shoddy craftsmanship and wasteful.) Style wise, we would probably view their clothes as not particularly fitting into any era. As with opinions, fashion changes slowly for them.

Q: The rededication of souls ceremony was a beautiful idea. How did you come up with it?

A: The rededication ceremony was one of those things that completely surprised me. It wasn't in my original synopsis for the story. I learned about it at the same time Ana did -- in the kitchen with Sam and Stef. It just fit

Q: Is an SED like an iPhone? That’s what I kept picturing when I read the book.

A:  The SED is awfully similar to the iPhone, isn't it? This is a society that values usefulness and not having to carry a billion things. The more they can fit into one object, the better. I mean, they walk everywhere they go! (They're in way better shape than I am.) 

Q: Are the SED screens like movie screens or TV screens, or is it just a projection on the wall?

A:  Like in the library? They're probably most like LCD TV screens, but even more awesome and high definition and shiny. And TV-fancy. Stef built them. You'll have to ask her for all the gory details. I barely know how to work my TV. 

Q: Are there any “normal” animals in Heart and the surrounding area? Such as dogs, cats, squirrels, bunnies, etc? Or are the only creatures other than the humans the dragons, sylph, and other monsters?

A:  Of course! There's all kinds of wildlife: birds, bears, wolves, etc. People tend not to keep pets because it's even harder than it is for us when they die, but there are livestock animals like cavies and chickens, and pack animal like Shaggy the pony (whose full name is Not As Shaggy As His Father).  

Q: If Sam were to play a song (from our world, not the Incarnate world) that described his personality/told his story, what would it be and why? (The song doesn’t have to have lyrics. It can be classical)

A:  I think Sam would love Snow Patrol if he ever heard them. He'd probably find "Make This Go On Forever" particularly relevant to his life with Ana. 

Thank you, Jodi, for answering these questions! 

Want to buy Incarnate?


1 comment:

  1. I haven't read Incarnate, YET! But, Sam, lemme tell you, I'm already your fan! Snow Patrol? *Hi5's*

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!