Thursday, February 5, 2015

THE RETRIBUTION OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin

Rating: A
Synopsis:
Mara Dyer wants to believe there's more to the lies she’s been told.
There is.

She doesn’t stop to think about where her quest for the truth might lead.
She should.

She never had to imagine how far she would go for vengeance.
She will now.

Loyalties are betrayed, guilt and innocence tangle, and fate and chance collide in this shocking conclusion to Mara Dyer’s story.

Retribution has arrived.


My thoughts on the book:
This novel met and exceeded my expectations. It was a fantastic conclusion to a riveting story. The characters in this book were so wonderfully flawed, and the plot kept me hooked. It was a long novel, but I never was bored. The pacing was perfect, and there was just enough mystery/intrigue to keep me guessing. The ending surprised me a bit because it wasn't what you'd expect from a novel. Nothing about this book, or trilogy, was predictable, and I really enjoyed that. 

I really liked how the characters of this book weren't heroes or villains. I think that's more realistic than someone who's completely good or bad. Each character was complex and had his or her own story to tell. Sometimes it was hard to root for Mara because she was such a dark character, but at the same time, there was something so human about her that you could still relate to her, even when she was doing horrific things. Mara's ability really makes you question what you'd do if you had it. Noah was also extremely complex and dark and twisted. I really loved the two of them together. Daniel was another favorite, and he didn't turn out how I thought he would at all. 

Mara and Noah's relationship was complicated and destructive and messy. I absolutely loved it. It wasn't pretty, and that was refreshing. Their love wasn't this wonderful thing, it would destroy them in the end. I felt like that was one of the most realistic portrayals of love I'd ever read. Also, Hodkin's writing was beautiful. The plot was tragic and amazing, and the ending wasn't happy, but it was conclusive. I felt like all the loose ends were tied up, and while things weren't completely finalized, it was clear that happily ever after wasn't in the cards. I liked that because life doesn't have a happily ever after, either. However, the ending wasn't completely depressing, and it left me with a bit of hope. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book and series for people who want to read something that will make them think and question themselves. This book was a wonderful conclusion to a unique and captivating story. 

Order The Retribution of Mara Dyer

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!