Thursday, March 1, 2012

BLACK HOWL by Christina Henry

Black Howl
Christina Henry

Rating: B+

Synopsis from goodreads.com:
Something is wrong with the souls of Chicago's dead. Ghosts are walking the streets, and Agent of Death Madeline Black's exasperating boss wants her to figure out why. And while work is bad enough, Maddy has a plethora of personal problems, too.

In an effort not to spoil the first two books of the series, I'm going to cut the post here. Read this review at your own risk, if you haven't read the first two books!


 
My thoughts on the book:
Wow. So this was a difficult read for me. In an effort not to spoil anything, I'm just going to say that the ending blew me away. I know why things had to work out that way, though. I was emotionally exhausted by the time I finished this novel, but for the life of me, I could not put it down!!! It was super intense,  and Maddy had even more problems that she usually has. The book starts where Black Night left off. Madeline is still dealing with the fall out of what happened in the Faerie Court. She's still holding a grudge against Nathaniel (understandably), and Gabriel is still mad that he's her thrall. But things get so much more complicated than that before it's over.

This book kept me guessing from start to finish. I had a couple of small things figured out, but they were just minor parts of the bigger picture... and I had no clue about the bigger picture. Black Howl was mysterious and action-packed. Jude (who hates Maddy, if you remember) comes to her for help when Wade and the cubs go missing. What's going on with the cubs is very upsetting and affecting more than just the supernaturals. A lot of innocent humans in Chicago are being affected by this problem as well. Who is behind it? Well, I won't tell you that. Let me just say that you'll be surprised by the main person pulling the strings. I know I was. 

The character development in this novel is lacking for Maddy and Gabriel. Neither of them develop much, but Jude and J.B. develop a ton. I kind of liked that. I felt like Maddy and Gabriel had grown as much as possible and it's refreshing to learn new things about secondary characters sometimes instead of just simply learning more and more about the main characters. Beezle, of course, remains the same. Jude and J.B. both surprised me. I'm not going to tell you about Jude, but I will tell you about J.B. He has a cat!!! I love cats! So now I love J.B. haha. It's the small things, you know. 

In an effort not to spoil this novel, I'm going to stop my review here. There's really not much I can say without giving all of the surprises away. Black Howl is an action-packed emotional roller coaster ride that you do not want to miss!


Buy Black Howl!


Amazon

Barnes and Noble

2 comments:

  1. I love a book that will keep me guessing. Overall, this looks like a read that I would enjoy. Thanks for the great review.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina's books are awesome! I'd definitely recommend all of them. :D Start with Black Wings. It's the first of the series!

      Delete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!