Friday, March 9, 2012

THE CALLING by Kelley Armstrong

The Calling
Kelley Armstrong

Grade: A+
Release Date: 04/10/12


Synopsis from back of ARC:
Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they're kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves lost in the Vancouver Island wilderness. But Maya has a secret. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly anyone else. It's part of who she really is - and it has something to do with the mysterious paw-print birthmark on her hip. Yet as Maya and her friends face unforeseen dangers, it becomes clear that she's not the only one in their close-knit group with something to hide. If they're going to survive, they'll need all their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home.

This review contains spoilers from the first book in the series, The Gathering. So if you have not read The Gathering yet, then I recommend you read it before reading this review. Click read more to continue with the review.


My thoughts on the book:
Armstrong did it again with this book. The Calling begins right where The Gathering left off, and the entire novel is constant suspense and adventure. We get to learn so much more about Maya's world, right along side with her. It turns out that Maya's not the only super-human on the island. All of her friends have some sort of power, and while we don't learn what all of their powers are yet, we do learn about Sam and Daniel. They are a new breed of supernatural that Armstrong has never worked with before, and I really like that they are unique. I love paranormal books, but sometimes I do get tired of the same three types of paranormals over and over again. Armstrong is never afraid to work outside the box, and it's one of the reasons she's such a terrific author.

Maya grows a lot as a character in this book. She realizes that she's not the best judge of others' intentions, and she's in the process of learning to work within her boundaries. From the misjudgments she's had, I'd say she'd be better off just ignoring her "gut feeling" all together and asking Daniel what he thinks. She made some pretty big boo boo's. However, that's how characters grow, and I'm sure that she'll improve on her ability to judge others in the next novel. She also becomes a stronger character because she finds out some really drastic things, such as what really killed Serena and why. Along with these revelations, she also has to learn to make difficult decisions. By the end of the novel, Maya has toughened up a lot. I can't wait to see what happens to her in the next book.

Daniel grows quite a bit, too. He becomes more honest with Maya, and it's obvious how much he cares about her. I don't think Maya realizes how he feels about her, and I certainly don't think she's aware of how important he is to her. I hope she loves him, at least, because I really like them together. I mean Rafe is fine and everything, but I just like the dynamic between Maya and Daniel much better. I also like that they've been best friends their entire lives. I hope something good comes from that. We'll see which direction Armstrong decides to take it. I won't be disappointed if Maya chooses Rafe, but I'd rather she choose Daniel.

The plot is super suspenseful. The entire novel consists of them trying to find their way through the forest on Vancouver Island in order to escape not just the St. Clouds, but also another enemy. These poor kids just don't stand a chance. There is a lot of action and adventure going on throughout the entire book, and the pacing is spot on. It's a super fast read. The entire novel took me maybe four to five hours to complete because it was just so intense. It's the perfect follow-up to The Gathering.

In an effort not to spoil The Calling for anyone, I'm going to end my review here. I really loved this novel, and I can't wait until the next book comes out. I'd recommend this book to anyone because Armstrong's work is amazing. There's a lot of action, a little bit of romance, and a ton of promise for the final book in the trilogy. Read The Gathering and The Calling ASAP! You won't be sorry!

Want to pre-order The Calling?

3 comments:

  1. AHHHHH! Thank you so much for this fantastic review! I loved The Gathering, and I've been aching to read an honest review of this second book. This seems so much more enticing, with the plot being further revealed. I liked your point about Rafe vs. Daniel. Haha, to be honest, I agree with you.

    Thanks again for the great review!
    When you have time, feel free to check out my review of The Gathering :)

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! You write very good reviews. Being the busy mommy that I am, it's kind of difficult to choose good books lately. Your reviews are really helpful.

    If you have the time, please do drop by Cure for Mondays. http://cure4mondays.blogspot.com/

    I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! and I totally agree, I want Maya with Daniel. But I'd feel sorry for Rafe then, so I'm not entirely sure :P
    I loved this book too, mostly because of all the action and energy. Can't wait for The Rising!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!