Wednesday, January 9, 2013

EVER AFTER by Kim Harrison

Ever After
Kim Harrison

Rating: A-
Release Date: 01/22/13
Synopsis:
The ever after, the demonic realm that parallels the human world, is shrinking. If it disappears completely, so does all magic. It's up to witch-turned-daywalking-demon Rachel Morgan to avert catastrophe and keep life from changing... for the worse.

While saving the world is important, it isn't Rachel's only motivation. There's also the small fact that she caused the ley line to rip in the first place, setting off a chain reaction of unfortunate events. That little mistake has made her life forfeit unless she can fix it. It's also made her more than a few enemies, including the most powerful demon in the ever after—a terrifying entity who eats souls and now has an insatiable appetite for her. He's already kidnapped her friend and goddaughter to lure her out, and if Rachel doesn't give herself up soon, they'll die.

But Rachel has more than a few impressive and frightening skills of her own, and she isn't going to hand over her soul and her life without one hell of a fight. She's also got a surprise: elven tycoon Trent Kalamack. With this unlikely ally beside her—a prospect both thrilling and unnerving—she's going to return to the ever after, kick some demon butt, rescue her loved ones... and prevent an apocalypse before it's too late. Or, at least that's the plan...


My thoughts on the book:
Kim Harrison fans will delight in the latest installment of the Hollows series. Ever After is an action-packed adventure. In my opinion, this novel was much better than A Perfect Blood. It had a lot more going on, and there was not a dull moment. I did not get bored once while reading this. Harrison takes readers on an emotional roller coaster ride that will leave them reeling. 

Rachel, everyone's favorite witch, was better than ever in this book. As usual, she was fearless and bad-ass. Her evolution throughout this series has impressed me. She no longer acts like a confused and bratty novice. She owns up to her mistakes and does what she has to do. Also, I simply loved the fact that she teamed up with Trent in this novel. I've loved him since he was first introduced, even though he was the "bad guy." I just think he's a fascinating character, and I loved learning more about him and watching their relationship progress. I really hope that they end up together. He's been my pick for her all along. I know, I know, I'm a bit twisted sometimes. 

The plot itself was intense and kept me on the edge of my seat. However, Harrison could have expanded more about the situation regarding the elves and demons. Also, I felt that the vampires were a bit neglected in this novel. I know that they'll make a comeback, but I felt that instead of throwing in random bits of vampire politics, Harrison should have either explained more or just left it out all together. Regardless, the pacing for this book was perfect, and I flew through the pages. The ending left me wanting more. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book for Hollows fans and this series to fans of Kelley Armstrong, Laurell K. Hamilton, and Patricia Briggs. Ever After is one book that readers of the series will not want to miss. 

Pre-order Ever After!



2 comments:

  1. I have liked Trent and his been my pick since the first time he was introduced as well. Guess we are both twisted then :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I've been meaning to read this series it sounds so good and Im a HUGE fan of Kelley Armstrong! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!