Tuesday, October 6, 2015

THE WHITE ROSE by Amy Ewing

Rating: B-
Synopsis:
Violet is on the run. After the Duchess of the Lake catches Violet with Ash, the hired companion at the Palace of the Lake, Violet has no choice but to escape the Jewel or face certain death. So along with Ash and her best friend, Raven, Violet runs away from her unbearable life of servitude.

But no one said leaving the Jewel would be easy. As they make their way through the circles of the Lone City, Regimentals track their every move, and the trio barely manages to make it out unscathed and into the safe haven they were promised—a mysterious house in the Farm.

But there’s a rebellion brewing, and Violet has found herself in the middle of it. Alongside a new ally, Violet discovers her Auguries are much more powerful than she ever imagined. But is she strong enough to rise up against the Jewel and everything she has ever known?

The White Rose is a raw, captivating sequel to The Jewel that fans won’t be able to put down until the final shocking moments.


My thoughts on the book:
I really enjoyed The Jewel, so I was looking forward to its sequel. While The White Rose didn't necessarily disappoint me, it didn't really live up to my expectations, either. The relationship between Violet and Ash is already falling flat, and Raven is annoying, too. The plot itself is okay, but some of the stuff is just not 100% believable, even for a work of fiction. The pacing is a bit slow in spots, and the ending isn't exactly memorable. I'm still looking forward to the next installment, but I'm not as excited about it as I was before reading The White Rose.

Violet is a decent character, even though she's a bit self-absorbed at times. I still enjoy reading from her perspective, and she is growing throughout the course of the novel. Some of her decisions are strange, but overall, she's a pretty solid lead. Ash is getting to be annoying. He's like a child who wants to help his mommy in the kitchen, but only makes a mess. I'm just not a huge fan of his anymore. The same goes for Raven. She's obnoxious and needy, and I kind of just want her to go away. The rest of the characters aren't that memorable. Lucien is becoming pretty interesting, though.

The plot itself is a bit boring in places, though it does take detours through Ash's past. At the end of the day, though, Ash just seems bitter, angsty, and whiny. I would much prefer a different love interest. Anyway, on top of that, the world-building and growth is extremely well-done, The writing itself is lovely and engaging. And aside from some clunky parts, the story flows nicely. The ending isn't exactly memorable, but it isn't awful, either. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed The Jewel. It's definitely a decent follow-up. 

Order The White Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!