Saturday, May 26, 2018

BONE DRIVEN by Hailey Edwards

Rating: A+
Release Date: May 31, 2018
Synopsis:
The bayou is burning, the battle is just beginning - and Luce Boudreau is smack in the middle of no-man's land . . .
Life as a cop in Canton Town, Mississippi, is never dull - particularly when hiding deep within you is a demon bent on the apocalypse. Luce is doing her best to pretend her two worlds aren't crashing into each other, but what should be a routine arson investigation takes a shocking turn when Luce discovers a link between the suspects and her own dark secrets. There's no turning back, even though her search for the truth threatens to burn her old life down around her.
Lines are being drawn in a war Luce barely understands, and she just might be on the wrong side of them. Now she must embrace her powerful destiny, or the ones she loves most will pay the ultimate price.
My thoughts on the book:
I absolutely love Hailey Edwards. I have ever since I read Everlong back in 2010. Her novels are steamy and sexy, but they also have heart. Her characters are real, and they are funny and heartbreaking and flawed and wonderful. The plots will always keep you on the edge of your seat, and the writing is wonderful. Bone Driven is no exception to this. I stayed up half the night reading this novel because I had to see what happened to Luce next. Edwards writes novels with heart, and that is so hard to come by, especially in the paranormal romance genre. 
Edwards excels in making you care about her characters. Luce may be a demon and she may be one of the four horsewomen of the apocalypse, more or less, but she is also so human. She's someone that anyone could relate to. She's such a strong character. She doesn't need any men to save her. I love how she makes the tough decisions, but they chip away at her soul, like they would anyone else's. The author does a terrific job of showing the inner struggle that Luce is feeling every second of her existence, and that's absolutely beautiful. Luce's coterie is also amazing. My favorite member is Thom, but that's because he shifts into a black Manx or bobtail, (or nubbin cat, as I call mine) and I have a black Manx, and it just made me picture my little Finnegan every time Thom shifted. All of the coterie members are extremely complicated, and their complex and evolving relationship with Luce is interesting to watch. Luce shows how a bit of kindness can soften even the harshest of "monsters." 
The plot of this book is mysterious and thrilling, and at some points, heartbreaking. I could not put this novel down. The book is fast-paced, and Luce doesn't get a moment of peace in the entire thing. I was white knuckling my Kindle for the majority of this novel. It was one hell of a rollercoaster ride. The writing is wonderful. Edwards has a very strong voice, and I love how she explains things. There are moments of hilarity, and I found myself laughing out loud a few times while reading (which always alarms the cats). The world-building is done perfectly. I feel like I have a good grasp on the mythology of this universe that Edwards created. The mythology has some unique twists to it that I really enjoyed. It's not your typical angels/demons/good/evil/end of the world/save the world type of story. There are layers to it (and to the world itself), and it's fascinating. I absolutely can't wait until the third book. 
Overall, I'd recommend this book and series to anyone who is looking for a paranormal romance that has a lot of heart, some serious sexual tension, real and fully-developed characters, and a unique mythology. I think this is my favorite series that Edwards has written, and that says a lot. Do yourself a favor and give these books a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!