Tuesday, September 17, 2013

NOT A DROP TO DRINK by Mindy McGinnis

Not a Drop to Drink
Mindy McGinnis

Rating: D
Release Date: 09/24/13
Synopsis:
Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water. Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.

Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.

But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….

With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, debut author Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl’s journey in a barren world not so different than our own.


My thoughts on the book:
I wanted to like this book so much, but I just couldn't. I gave it a try two separate times in order to make sure it was getting a fair shot. I just could not relate to the characters, especially the protagonist, and the spare language made me feel as if certain aspects of the story were under-developed. Those who enjoy minimalist literature will love this book. It will probably fall flat for everyone else.

The characters, in my opinion, were not fully emotionally developed. I just never got the sense of Lynn as a real person. The same went for Mother, Stebbs, Eli, Neva, and Lucy. Lucy was actually the most real. Mother apparently is a sociopath, and whether that was brought about by her experiences or just her nature, I couldn't tell you. Stebbs seemed like a decent guy, but I would have liked to have known more about him. Neva just irked me. Eli was a pansy. Lynn didn't know what to do about anything that involved a feeling. Lucy was cute and entertaining.

The plot itself felt underdeveloped as well. After I finished this book, all I felt was "so what?" Why did I waste hours upon hours forcing myself to get through this? I don't feel that I got anything out of it. It just kind of moseyed along this path that really didn't engage me at all. I never felt a sense of urgency, and if you ask me, all the characters could thirst to death because none of them was particularly likable. The world-building was done pretty well. McGinnis was good at showing instead of telling. The pacing was WAY too slow.

Overall, if you aren't absolutely obsessed with post-apocalyptic tales, Dystopian novels, and minimalist literature, then I'd say pass on this one.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I will pass on this one
    I am not a great fan of dystopians and they mostly bore me to hell
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly the same problem I had. After reading the whole thing it was just like, what was the point? All they did was prance about the pond and bitch and whine about purifying the water. Huge let down.

    Nyx @ Unraveling Words

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!