Thursday, September 5, 2013

THE CHAOS OF STARS by Kiersten White


Rating: F
Release Date: 9/10/13
Synopsis:
Isadora’s family is seriously screwed up.

Of course, as the human daughter of Egyptian gods, that pretty much comes with the territory. She’s also stuck with parents who barely notice her, and a house full of relatives who can’t be bothered to remember her name. After all, they are going to be around forever—and she’s a mere mortal.

Isadora’s sick of living a life where she’s only worthy of a passing glance, and when she has the chance to move to San Diego with her brother, she jumps on it. But Isadora’s quickly finding that a “normal” life comes with plenty of its own epic complications—and that there’s no such thing as a clean break when it comes to family. Much as she wants to leave her past behind, she can’t shake the ominous dreams that foretell destruction for her entire family. When it turns out there may be truth in her nightmares, Isadora has to decide whether she can abandon her divine heritage after all.

My thoughts on the book:
I wanted to like this book so badly. The cover is beautiful, and the concept sounded amazing. Egyptian mythology is so underrepresented, so I was really looking forward to this novel. However, this book bored me to tears. I have a love/hate relationship with Kiersten White's writing, and while I absolutely adore Mind Games, The Chaos of the Stars falls into the "hate" category, along with the Paranormalcy series. 

Isadora is a terrible main character, in my opinion. She's bratty, immature, and annoying. I didn't care what happened to her, so reading about her was really painful for me. Also, I am so freaking sick and tired of all of these characters in paranormal novels wanting "normal" lives. I want a life with werewolves and hot vampires and such, but do I get that? NOOOO. Do I whine about it for 300+ pages? Nope! Get over it and move on. Ugh. The other characters don't really stand out either. They're just cookie-cutter/filler characters with immature personalities. Ry is a terribly boring love interest, and I can barely remember anything about him, even now. 

The writing is juvenile at best and awful at worst. The plot is pretty much non-existent, and the pacing is off. The book drags a lot of the time and rushes in other places. World-building is lacking, and there are way too many things that are never explained. The ending didn't tie much up... of course there wasn't really a plot to tie up in the first place. The romance is incredibly weak, and I didn't really buy it. 

Overall, I'd say avoid this book. It's my least favorite out of all of White's novels. 


4 comments:

  1. OH NO :( sorry you didn't like it. I have been wanting to read this but now I might have to rethink it!
    Great review

    Michelle
    Because reading is better than real life

    ReplyDelete
  2. That freaking sucks cause it is next in my pile to review... damn it. Maybe I'll like it? I liked Mind Games as well and a lot of people didn't seem to enjoy that one... here's to hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't like it? Interesting. Now I'm more curious than ever, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, this one. I was really hoping that it would be redemption for White, I wasn't a fan of Mind Games, but I just kept getting so annoyed with this book. I didn't like Isadora, but I don't know if that was the biggest issue I had. There were just so many plot holes...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!