Tuesday, July 2, 2013

CONFESSIONS OF AN ALMOST-GIRLFRIEND by Louise Rozett

Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend
Louise Rozett

Rating: C
Synopsis:
 Rose Zarelli has big plans for sophomore year—everything is going to be different. This year, she’s going to be the talented singer with the killer voice, the fabulous girl with the fashionista best friend, the brainiac who refuses to let Jamie Forta jerk her around...

...but if she’s not careful, she’s also going to be the sister who misses the signals, the daughter who can only think about her own pain, the “good girl” who finds herself in mid-scandal again (because no good deed goes unpunished) and possibly worst of all...the almost-girlfriend.

When all else fails, stop looking for love and go find yourself.


My thoughts on the book:
Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend was a bit of a disappointment for me. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoyed Confessions of an Angry Girl. I feel like Rozett was grasping at straws at certain points, and some of the characters' actions don't match their personalities nor their words. I know that a lot of people loved this one, but unfortunately I'm not one of them. 

Rose really annoyed me in this installment. She seemed weak and whiny. She was also self-absorbed. Basically, I felt like I was transported back in time and reliving my teenage years, which is something I never want to do. This is why I don't read much contemporary, because I don't want to feel like this. Jamie was a jerk, as usual, and I couldn't stand that she remained hung up on him and just let him treat her like crap. He's the worst romantic interest ever. The other characters were also obnoxious, other than Holly, and I just really didn't enjoy reading about any of them.

The plot was kind of non-existent, and some of the developments didn't seem very well thoughtout. The pacing was off, and it dragged in places. The backstory of the importance of tolerance was good, and needs to be addressed more often. I commend Rozett for taking on that issue, and for addressing how schools often times make bullying worse by how they handle it. However, this novel just didn't work for me.

Overall, I'd recommend this book to those who enjoyed the first installment and want to see how the story progresses. If you were iffy on the first novel, then chances are you won't like this one. You may want to check it out from the library before buying it. 

Order Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!