Thursday, July 11, 2013

SCHOOL SPIRITS by Rachel Hawkins

School Spirits
Rachel Hawkins

Rating: A+
Synopsis:
Fifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.

Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.

Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt? 

Rachel Hawkins' delightful spin-off brings the same wit and charm as the New York Times best-selling Hex Hall series. Get ready for more magic, mystery and romance!


My thoughts on the book:
I loved, loved, LOVED School Spirits! I wasn't sure what to expect because I'd seen its star rating on Good Reads, but I personally enjoyed every second of this novel! Hawkins once again creates unique and well-developed characters. Also, the world-building is top-notch, and the plot is mysterious and kept me guessing. I read this book all in one sitting because I could not put it down. This is one novel that can't be missed!

Izzy is a fantastic leading character. I enjoyed seeing the world through her eyes. She's strong and stubborn, but also has a soft side. She's willing to sacrifice her own happiness for her friends, family, and the greater good. It was entertaining seeing her learn to navigate the complex and often terrifying social structures of high school. Her love interest, Dex, is also amazing. I absolutely adored him. He isn't your run of the mill tortured and angsty soul. No, no, no. Dex is hilariously weird and silly, and I loved that. Torin is another intriguing character, and I hope to learn more about him in the next installment. I'm kind of sensing there may be a love triangle between Dex, Izzy, and Torin, but we'll see. I totally ship Dizzy right now, though (get it? I made a really obnoxious name for them as a couple. Torin and Izzy would be Tizzy, obviously). Izzy's mom isn't the most likable person, but I understand her reasoning behind her actions. In short, the characterization in this novel was astounding. 

The plot is mysterious and kept me guessing. I, like Izzy, thought the culprit was one person (though I switched from who Izzy thought it was to another person... I was still wrong), but it ended up being someone I didn't even expect. After the big reveal, I thought back and was like, "oh! That actually makes a lot of sense!" The ending wraps things up nicely, but left room for a sequel (which I hope is released soon). The romance is sparing and sweet, and Izzy and Dex were very mature regarding their feelings. No insta-love here, folks, thankfully. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone. If you enjoyed the Hex Hall series, then you'll love this spin-off (there are a couple of mentions of Sophia and Archer) series just as much, if not more!

Order School Spirits today!



4 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved reading School Spirits as much as I did the Hex Hall series. Dex is a gem. And for some reason, I totally adore Torin. Hopefully he gets out of the mirror soon! This is the first book in a new series, but there are no plans (yet) for more books. Hawkins is busy with other books, like Rebel Belle that comes out in April 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! I couldn't find anything about when or if the next book would come out anywhere. I really liked Torin, too, but I just loved Dex's weirdness, haha. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Well, this is new to me, since I have not read Hex Hall
    GREAT review
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The great thing about this series is that you can read it even if you haven't read Hex Hall, and it'll make sense. :) I hope you give it a try and LOVE it!

      Delete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!