Monday, July 1, 2013

IN THE AFTER by Demitria Lunetta

In the After
Demitria Lunetta

Rating: A-
Synopsis:
They hear the most silent of footsteps.
They are faster than anything you've ever seen.
And They won't stop chasing you...until you are dead.

Amy is watching TV when it happens, when the world is attacked by Them. These vile creatures are rapidly devouring mankind. Most of the population is overtaken, but Amy manages to escape—and even rescue “Baby,” a toddler left behind in the chaos. Marooned in Amy’s house, the girls do everything they can to survive—and avoid Them at all costs.

After years of hiding, they are miraculously rescued and taken to New Hope, a colony of survivors living in a former government research compound. While at first the colony seems like a dream with plenty of food, safety, and shelter, New Hope slowly reveals that it is far from ideal. And Amy soon realizes that unless things change, she’ll lose Baby—and much more.

Rebellious, courageous, and tender, this unforgettable duo will have you on the edge of your seat as you tear through the pulse-pounding narrow escapes and horrifying twists of fate in this thrilling debut from author Demitria Lunetta.


My thoughts on the book:
In the After was a pleasant surprise for me. I really wasn't expecting to enjoy it. Sometimes I love sci-fi books and sometimes I hate them. I absolutely loved this novel. The pacing is spot on, the writing is wonderful, the world-building is fantastic, and the plot is intriguing and will hook you from the beginning. Lunetta had a unique idea with this story, and I'm so glad that I read it. The only complaint I have is that the secondary characters could have used a bit more development. Amy is well-rounded and easy to relate to, though. You really shouldn't miss this book.

Amy is a strong and likable main character. I really respected her, and could relate to her even though our lives are very different. She is hardened and a bit tough sometimes, but she's a good person underneath, and that's always obvious. While she does a few dumb things randomly, and she refuses to keep her stupid mouth shut sometimes, overall, I liked her a lot. Baby is an interesting character, as is Rice. I hope we get to see more of them in the subsequent novels.

The plot is extremely unique and intriguing. I was hooked from the first page due to Lunetta's writing. Right away, I could picture what Amy was seeing, and I sympathized with her immediately. That doesn't happen for me in many books, and I love when it does. The ending is not a cliffhanger, thankfully, and most of the issues from the first novel are solved. Still, there are enough things left unanswered that I'm looking forward to the next installment. The pacing is perfect, and I didn't get bored or distracted.

Overall, this is one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read. I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking for something different and enjoys unique plots and a strong main character.

Order In the After!

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book too! I thought it came out of nowhere to win all of our hearts. Very intriguing, and the monsters? CREEPY!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!