Monday, July 15, 2013

KISS OF STEEL by Bec McMaster

Kiss of Steel
Bec McMaster

Rating: A+
Synopsis:
When Nowhere Is Safe

Most people avoid the dreaded Whitechapel district. For Honoria Todd, it's the last safe haven. But at what price?

Blade is known as the master of the rookeries—no one dares cross him. It's been said he faced down the Echelon's army single-handedly, that ever since being infected by the blood-craving he's been quicker, stronger, and almost immortal.

When Honoria shows up at his door, his tenuous control comes close to snapping. She's so...innocent. He doesn't see her backbone of steel—or that she could be the very salvation he's been seeking.


My thoughts on the book:
Kiss of Steel completely blew me away. I picked up this book on a whim at my local library, and I was pleasantly surprised. I've been wanting a Steampunk read for awhile, and this looked like the perfect way to get my fix. McMaster has created an intriguing and captivating world with sympathetic and well-developed characters. The plot, while not overly mysterious, has quite a bit of action and a lot of suspense (a lot of which is sexual tension). Anyone who is looking for a good Steampunk Romance should give this book a try. 

Honoria is a strong, yet vulnerable, leading character. Sometimes she irritated me with her stubbornness, but overall, I really liked her. I could understand why she behaved the way she did, though, and McMaster didn't overdo the defensiveness. Since the novel was told from a third-person omniscient perspective, I also got to know Blade very well. I absolutely adored him. He's a complex and intriguing love interest, and his loyalty is admirable. The POV even touched on the secondary characters some, which fleshed them out and helped me get to know them better. My personal favorites are Barrons and Lena. I'd also like to know more about Charlie, so I hope we see more of him in the sequels. 

The world-building is fantastic, and I could clearly picture this version of London while reading the book As I said, the plot isn't overly mysterious. It's obvious who the bad guy is from the start, but there are still some surprises. There is a lot of suspense and tension throughout the novel, which kept me reading and engaged. The romance is touching and very steamy. The pacing is perfect, and the ending tied up Blade and Honoria's story very well. I can't wait to see what McMaster has in store for this group of characters next. I think the next novel is focused on Will (who is also extremely complicated) and Lena. I am checking Heart of Iron (the sequel) out from the library this week!

Overall, I'd recommend this novel to anyone who is looking for a good, steamy, and unique Steampunk Romance story. You won't be disappointed. 

Order Kiss of Steel!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!