Tuesday, July 15, 2014

SENTINEL by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Rating: B+
Synopsis:
It's a beautiful day for a war.

As the mortal world slowly slips into chaos of the godly kind, Alexandria Andros must overcome a stunning defeat that has left her shaken and in doubt of their ability to end this war once and for all.

And with all the obstacles between Alex and her happily-ever-after with the swoonworthy Aiden St. Delphi, they must now trust a deadly foe as they travel deep into the Underworld to release one of the most dangerous gods of all time.

In the stunning, action-packed climax to the bestselling Covenant series, Alex must face a terrible choice: the destruction of everything and everyone she holds dear… or the end of herself.


My thoughts on the book:
Let me start off by saying that I absolutely adored Sentinel, and it is probably my favorite book in the series. That being said, I had to knock a letter off because apparently there was a copy editor strike during the printing of this novel. There were tons of glaring mistakes, and that kept pulling me out of the story. The narrative itself was outstanding, and the character growth was fantastic. The ending was satisfying and unique, and the pacing was spot-on. This book would have been perfect had there not been so many typos and grammatical errors. 

Alex really grows up in this book, and I really enjoyed seeing who she became. She becomes very strong, and even though she feels broken for a good part of the novel, she still does what she can in order to make things right. I really grew to respect her a lot. Aiden also completely won me over. His loyalty and dedication to Alex were beautiful. Seth surprised me a few times as well, and so did Apollo. I also enjoyed seeing a little bit more of Alex's dad. 

The pacing was spot-on, and I flew through the pages of this book. I wasn't bored once because it was non-stop action, adventure, and romance. Alex's POV, as usual, is humorous, and I found myself laughing, even at inappropriate times. The world-building continued to be fantastic, and the book has a nice balance of emotions. The ending is unique and satisfying. I never would have thought that things could have ended that way, and in my opinion, everyone go the ending he or she deserved. My only complaint is the fact that there were so many grammatical and typographical errors. I don't blame JLA for this because it's nearly impossible to flawlessly proofread your own work, but I hope that Spencer Hill has a copy editor go over the book before they print more copies. As it stands, I'm not sure I want to buy it because of the errors (I checked out a copy from the library). 

Overall, I'd recommend this book and series to anyone who wants a unique spin on Greek mythology. JLA gives the gods hilarious personalities, and as with all of her books, you'll be hooked from the first page. Give this series a try, if you haven't already. You won't be sorry.

Buy Sentinel today!

2 comments:

  1. I've only read one book for Armentrout so far, but really enjoyed it. I need to check some of her other books out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy JLA's writing and this series was my favorite of hers. I do think things were tied up with a pretty bow, but I guess the fans would have hurt her if she would have done anything different lol! Great review =)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!