Thursday, July 31, 2014

POISON PROMISE by Jennifer Estep

Rating: A-
Synopsis:
Gin Blanco is hard-nosed, sexy, and lethal. Nicknamed “The Spider,” she’s a stone elemental assassin who brings her unique mix of magic and tact to every assignment, no matter the target.

There’s a new drug on the streets of Ashland, and its name “Burn” sums up the potent effect it has on its users. When one of her restaurant employees is threatened by dealers of the drug, Gin steps in to set things straight...


My thoughts on the book:
This is one of my favorite Urban Fantasy series, and 11 books in, it still hasn't gotten old. I feel like the series is coming close to an end because Gin isn't growing much anymore, and we all know she'll come out of everything okay. However, I still enjoy meeting the new villains and seeing what Gin and her friends are up to. Poison Promise is a fast-paced novel, full of action and adventure. You won't be able to put this one down. 

I really enjoyed this novel, but I still had a few complaints. For instance, Gin didn't grow at all, in my opinion, over the course of the book. I wish something had changed for her... at least something small. Bria still annoyed the crap out of me, and I still hate her and Finn together. Also, they have 0 chemistry. I really think Finn needs to find someone else. Their relationship is too convenient for my liking. Owen and Gin are back to normal, and he is fully supportive of her. Yes, he made mistakes in the past, and I wish those had been dealt with in book 10 instead of having a flashback novel, but I really love how he accepts and supports her as she is. I think they're a good match. Beauregard Benson, the villain is different, but he seemed weak to me, so I wasn't worried about Gin at all. I really enjoyed Silvio, though, and I'm glad we'll get to see more of him. I'm also glad we finally met M.M. Monroe. This nemesis may be worthy of the Spider.

This book has a lot of action, just like all of the Elemental Assassin books do. Gin's fights need to be mixed up some, though, and I'm tired of her getting kidnapped constantly. We all know she'll make it out alive. In a way I feel that the formula for these novels is getting old, but I was still intrigued and flew through the pages of this book. The pacing is fast, and I love that. Also, Estep quit spending pages upon pages rehashing things that happened in past books, and for that I am thankful. The ending tied things up nicely and set the stage for the next book in the series. I am definitely looking forward to the next installment thanks to M. M. Monroe's introduction. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book and series to anyone who loves a good, bad ass lead character and action packed Urban Fantasies. Estep is a fantastic author, and Gin is a great character. You won't be sorry you gave this series a try. 

Order Poison Promise

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book. M.M. Monroe will definitely be someone that is going to cause Gin and co a lot of problems. I feel like this new chapter with M.M. Monroe might be the last story arc. Gin is one of my favorite UF heroines....

    ReplyDelete
  2. New to this series. I like the cover. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I've never heard of this book before, though. But the girl on the cover looks very intimidating HAHA. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!