Sunday, May 20, 2012

RAPTURE by Lauren Kate

Rapture
Lauren Kate

Rating: B-
Release Date: 06/12/12
Synopsis from goodreads.com:
The sky is dark with wings . . . .

Like sand in an hourglass, time is running out for Luce and Daniel. To stop Lucifer from erasing the past they must find the place where the angels fell to earth. Dark forces are after them, and Daniel doesn’t know if he can do this—live only to lose Luce again and again.

Yet together they will face an epic battle that will end with lifeless bodies . . . and angel dust. Great sacrifices are made. Hearts are destroyed. And suddenly Luce knows what must happen.

For she was meant to be with someone other than Daniel. The curse they’ve borne has always and only been about her—and the love she cast aside. The choice she makes now will be the only one that truly matters.

In the fight for Luce, who will win?

The astonishing conclusion to the FALLEN series. Heaven can’t wait any longer.



My thoughts on the book:
Let me just say that this is by far the best book in the series. I haven't been a huge Fallen fan, but I kept picking up the books for some reason. I guess I was curious about what happened to Luce, even though she is the most boring protagonist of all time. I also hate Daniel because he is so boring. However, the plot of Rapture is enough to draw you in and keep you interested. The first half of the book is a bit slow moving, like all of Kate's novels, but after I passed the 50% mark, I could not put the book down. The book didn't end how I wanted it to exactly, but this ending didn't leave me feeling extremely angry for days like Bloodrose did. All in all, I'd recommend the series to people who like angel stories, and this book is a must read for anyone who's read the previous three books. 


The cover to this book is gorgeous, obvious, but the writing/dialogue/love story is a complete cheese fest, which has come to be expected from the Fallen series. Other things that I've come to expect from this series and just make myself look over are: Luce is weak, stupid, and co-dependent. Daniel is boring, vague, and annoying. Cam is amazing as usual, but he isn't in the story that much, unfortunately. That really disappointed me some. He is the only character that actually interested me throughout this entire series, and I've been team Cam from the start. 


The characters didn't develop a lot (big shocker), but at least the ending surprised me. I mean I knew how it would end as far as who Luce would end up with (I think we all do), but I didn't know how it would happen. Kate surprised me with how everything ended up working out. Honestly, the Epilogue was probably my favorite part of the entire novel. 


The plot is pretty slow-moving and boring for the first half. Things pick up around the halfway point, and it's pretty intense reading until the very end. The pacing picked up as well, and I couldn't put the book down until I saw what happened to everyone. The dialogue was as over-dramatic and hokey as ever. The pseudo-Shakespearean (that's what I call the whole... "I wanted to do this, for I was distraught" type BS) writing style was, of course, ever-present and plagued me throughout the entire novel (See, I can be dramatic too!). However, the book was not a complete disaster. I finished it feeling like, "wow, that wasn't half bad." That's a big improvement over how I felt about the other books in the series. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book to people who have read the Fallen series. It's a must-read for any Lauren Kate fan. This is the best book in the series, and it's worth the slow-moving beginning to see how things finally end. 

Want to pre-order Rapture?

4 comments:

  1. Really want to start reading this series soon! It sounds quite good .. great review! :)

    http://whats--hot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... Your description of this book is kind of how I've felt about the first two and the short stories from this series. I haven't picked up the third because I'm honestly not sure if I want to invest the time in it! Maybe I will when this one comes out... At least they tend to be quicker reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had really liked this series until I had gotten to the last chapter of the book. I too was enthralled by the need to find out Luce's past and was not disappointed by how the story was twisted. I feel that the book was ruined with the ending and feel that the happily ever after was too bittersweet for my liking

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't like this book as much as the first two, but definitely better than the third. What I didn't like was the ending, I really didn't expect that, and I didn't want Luce and Daniel to forget everything. I did feel that there was a closure to the series, so that was good

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!