Wednesday, September 5, 2012

CONFESSIONS OF AN ANGRY GIRL by Louise Rozett

Confessions of an Angry Girl
Louise Rozett

Rating: A
Synopsis:
Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has someconfessions to make…1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate,don't you?

2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is nowenraged and out for blood. Mine.

3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)

(Sorry. That was rude.)


My thoughts on the book:
I was pleasantly surprised by Confessions of an Angry Girl. I have to admit, even after I'd heard good things about it, I was afraid it'd be some teenage angst fest and that I'd want to murder the narrator. However, I found Rose to be charming and funny. All of the characters were unique, flawed, and realistic. The plot was endearing. I couldn't put this book down, and I can't wait for the next installment. 

Rose is the most honest narrator I've read in awhile. She says what she feels whether anyone wants to hear it or not. I respect her for that. She has every right in the world to be angry, but she's not terribly mean to people. She tries to do what she thinks is best. I felt bad for her because of all the problems she had in the past and continued having, but some of her awkwardness was just hilarious. 

Rose's best friend, Tracy, is a surprise. Just when you think she's being the stereotypical crappy friend, she turns it around and is decent. I also have no idea what is going on with her brother, Peter. I'd like to see more about him. Jamie is a bit of a mystery, too, but I think he's a good guy. I feel bad for him because he really tries to do what's right, even if it's not necessarily what's best. Poor guy. I hope he and Rose figure things out.

The plot for this book is engaging, and I couldn't put the book down until it was finished. I kept hitting the "next" button on my Kindle in hopes of extra pages being hidden. Unfortunately, there were no extra pages. There are a few things that are left open-ended, and I feel wish I had some explanations right now. But nooooo I have to wait for book #2. *Grumbles* 

The pacing is perfect. This is a quick read. I was able to read it all in one sitting. Nothing felt rushed, though, and I felt like I got to know the main characters well. I am glad that this is going to be a series. I am looking forward to watching Rose grow over the course of the novels.

Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants a fun, contemporary read. Confessions of an Angry Girl deals with very real and serious issues, but in a lighthearted way. Give this book a try. You won't be sorry. 

Want to order Confessions of an Angry Girl?



1 comment:

  1. I'm not much for contemporary stories but this one definitely looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!