Thursday, January 3, 2013

OPAL by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Opal
Jennifer L. Armentrout

Rating: A+
Synopsis:
No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.


My thoughts on the book:
Wow. Okay, first of all, let me complain. TWO CLIFFHANGERS IN ONE YEAR, JEN? REALLY? Ahem. I feel better now. This book was SO intense and emotional and beautiful. The ending was so "omg did this just happen?" As I've come to expect with JLA books, Opal blew me away. I couldn't get enough of this novel, and when I finished it (at 4am), it was all I could do not to scream "NOOOOO" at the top of my lungs. I did not see that ending coming, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I know I have to find out what happens next. I know that I'm quite concerned for everyone. I also know that July can't come quickly enough. The characters and their relationships evolved realistically. There were a lot of surprises. This, in my opinion, is the best book in the series. 

Katy and Daemon are turning into amazing characters, and their relationship was explosive in this installment. Katy sometimes sounded like she went to marriage counseling one too many times with her repeated proclamations that she "knows this is coming from a good place," though. I've always loved Daemon, but this side of him totally sealed the deal. He's got to be the most swoon-worthy YA male love interest EVER. Dee changed a lot, and while I understood what she was going through, I didn't like the change. She was slowly coming back to herself, but I missed the old Dee. Ash got on my nerves as usual. Andrew wasn't so bad, and I actually liked Matthew this time around.

The plot was intense, emotional, sweet, soul-crushing, and amazing. I don't even know how to talk about it beyond that, really, and I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't read the book yet. There are TONS of surprises in this novel, and I'd hate to be the one to ruin them all, so I'll just leave it at the plot does not disappoint and fans of JLA and the Lux series will be thrilled with it. As I mentioned, the ending is a cliffhanger, and while I hate that, I understand. It totally sets up the last two books in the series. I have a feeling Origin, which comes out in July, is going to be a tough read though. I bet I'll cry a ton. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book (and this series) to EVERYONE. Opal is the best book in the series, and arguably the best book JLA has written to date. You can't miss this one, but be prepared to lose some sleep. 

Order Opal today!





3 comments:

  1. Great review!! I haven't read this yet but I'm really dying to! Not looking forward to the cliffhanger though...
    World of Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMg Opal is the best book in the series? I got to read this oneee. The second book was amazing and left me wanting more!
    Great review x

    FICBOOKREVIEWS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing review! I had a review go up for this one today too :). I agree with that point about the cliffhanger! Two in one year wasn't very nice but they will be worth it :). I can't wait to continue this series and The Covanant series!

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!