Friday, May 24, 2013

SLEEPING WITH THE ENTITY by Cat Devon

Sleeping with the Entity
Cat Devon

Rating: C-
Release Date: 06/04/13
Synopsis:
She has a sweet tooth and a dream.

Meet Daniella Delaney. She’s all ready to open her shop, Heavenly Cupcakes, in one of Chicago’s sleepier districts. But she’s having a hard time convincing the local business association—namely Nick St. George—that she’s a good addition to the neighborhood. Daniella hopes that her famous red velvet cupcakes will be enough to melt any man’s heart. But Nick is no ordinary man. He’s got fangs.

He has a constant craving...

As leader of the Vamptown clan, Nick has no intention of letting Daniella breathe new life into his old haunts. But something about her leaves Nick hungry…for more. He can’t control her mind like other humans, a trait that makes Daniella irresistible. Could it be that, for the first time in centuries, Nick has met his match? Love is always a force to be reckoned with. But can this vampire have his cake and eat it too?


My thoughts on the book:
Sleeping with the Entity is a cute, light, and quick read. However, it has many flaws. The characters aren't fully developed, many conversations and situations don't seem realistic, the writing is a bit amateurish in spots, and the world-building was practically non-existent. Still, I somehow managed to enjoy the book, if nothing else, for the simplicity of it all. The idea itself is a bit original, and I always love a story set in my hometown of Chicago. 

Daniella was a bit of an obnoxious character. She rambled way too much, and there were times when I wanted to tell her to shut up. Also, many of her actions didn't make sense. However, she was a decent person, or so it seemed. It was hard to tell because there was zero character development. I also didn't feel like I got to know Nick at all. I mean sure I knew some facts about him by the end, but I never got a feel for him. He seemed okay, too, though he was a bit jerky at times. I didn't know enough about him to forgive him for it. The secondary characters may as well have not existed because it was glaringly obvious that they were there as filler characters only. 

The plot was a bit nonexistent, and things didn't always make sense. Characters believed and agreed to things randomly with no rhyme or reason other than it fit neatly into the box that the author created. The plot felt extremely forced and planned, and nothing seemed very realistic. Also, nothing overly bad happened. Somehow, though, and I'm not sure how it happened, the book hooked me. I couldn't put it down and read it all in one sitting. It's a quick, light read, but how conveniently things worked out really got on my nerves. 

Overall, I'd say check this one out at the library before buying. It was okay, but nothing special. 

Pre-order Sleeping with the Entity



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!