Wednesday, August 21, 2013

CONSUME by Melissa Darnell

Consume
Melissa Darnell

Rating: A
Release Date: 08/27/13
Synopsis:
Tristan Coleman has survived the change from Clann magic user to vampire, much to Savannah Colbert's joy—and despair. By changing the Clann's golden boy and newly elected leader, even to save him from death, she has unleashed a fury of hatred and fear that they cannot escape. 

As the Clann and the vampire council go to war, Tristan and Sav face a new threat—a fracturing of the all-consuming bond they share. To fight for peace, they must forge a new trust and risk everything to take down their deadliest enemy, even as they must run for their lives. Soon they will learn that some bonds are stronger than love—and some battles cannot be won without sacrifice.


My thoughts on the book:
Consume is a perfect ending to the Clann trilogy, and the best book in the series. The characters continue to grow in this installment, and the plot is full of romance and suspense. I was hooked from the first page and was sad to see this book, and series, end. I enjoyed my time in this rich world. However, the ending is satisfying. Darnell leaves the story in a good place, and I can't wait to see what she creates next.

Consume alternates between Savannah's and Tristan's first person points of view. Through the characters' narration, we get to know them better. Savannah is extremely level-headed and grown-up in this installment. I really enjoyed seeing how her character changed and grew until she reached her full potential. She's strong and won't compromise her values for anyone, including Tristan. Tristan, on the other hand, has a tougher time evolving, but guys usually do grow up more slowly than girls do. He becomes a really mature and intelligent character by the end, though, and I really like the person he grows into. Savannah's mom got on my nerves, as usual, but her dad really grew on me. I wish we'd gotten to see more of her friends, but that's okay. There really was no way to fit them into the plot more than Darnell did. 

The writing is good and Darnell's explanations are top-notch. She really allows us to understand how vampires in her world work, and I liked that a lot. The settings varied, and there wasn't much focus on place, really. I could picture what she describes, but she doesn't describe a whole lot in terms of the environment. The plot more than makes up for that oversight, though. It's complex and well-written. Darnell manages to take a stand against blind hatred without getting preachy, and while there isn't much mystery, there is a ton of suspense. I really didn't know who would make it to the end and who wouldn't. The ending itself ties things up nicely and is satisfying. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book and series to anyone who is looking for something a little different than the standard vampire fare. Darnell has created a wonderful and intriguing world with well-developed characters that you won't want to miss. 

Pre-order Consume!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!