Saturday, October 19, 2013

INFINITYGLASS by Myra McEntire

Rating: B
Synopsis:
The stakes have risen even higher in this third book in the Hourglass series.

The Hourglass is a secret organization focused on the study of manipulating time, and its members — many of them teenagers -­have uncanny abilities to make time work for them in mysterious ways. Inherent in these powers is a responsibility to take great care, because altering one small moment can have devastating consequences for the past, present, and future. But some time trav­elers are not exactly honorable, and sometimes unsavory deals must be struck to maintain order.

With the Infinityglass (central to understanding and harnessing the time gene) at large, the hunt is on to find it before someone else does.

But the Hourglass has an advantage. Lily, who has the ability to locate anything lost, has determined that the Infinityglass isn't an object. It's a person. And the Hourglass must find him or her first. But where do you start searching for the very key to time when every second could be the last?


My thoughts on the book:
Infinityglass is a surprisingly good ending to this trilogy. I loved Hourglass, but I did not like Timepiece. This novel redeemed McEntire, in my opinion, by showing that she can still create likeable, strong characters, good relationships, and a strong storyline. While this book is not perfect (some aspects just weren't messy enough for me), it is a huge improvement over the second installment. I really enjoyed getting to know Dune and Hallie, and I rooted for them the entire time. The story is tightly plotted, and the pacing is perfect. The resolution is satisfying. Fans of the series thus far will simply adore this book. 

Hallie is a strong leading lady, and I really liked getting to know her. She is flawed, but likeable. I enjoyed reading from her perspective, and she is a realistic character. She's tough, intelligent, and adaptable. Dune really surprised me. I thought he'd be a boring guy to get to know, but there's a lot more depth to him than I would have imagined. I loved how he was with Hallie, and I adored their relationship. It seemed natural (unlike Lily and Kaleb), and they brought out the best in each other. I would have liked to have gotten to know more about Lily's dad. I felt that most secondary characters were not fully developed, and I didn't like that. Poe stood out, though, and I enjoyed learning about him. He's extremely complex, and he surprised me a few times. 

The plot, for the most part, is extremely intriguing. Nothing is too convenient this time around, but some things still happened a bit too easily. I didn't feel as if McEntire was controlling her world as much as I did with Timepiece, though. The relationships develop organically, as do the plot twists. The pacing is perfect, and I didn't get bored once. I still felt as if McEntire was trying to force me to ship Lily and Kaleb, though. She kept having Hallie talk about how "sexy" they were. Whatever. They suck as a couple and no amount of forcing by the author is going to change my mind about that. The ending is a little too tidy, in my opinion, but it's satisfying. All of the questions and problems were addressed and taken care of, and I feel that this group's story has found its resolution. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book and series to anyone who loves good time travel stories. 

Order Infinityglass




1 comment:

  1. Well, I have heard a LOT about this series but I still haven't started it
    I might do in the future, hopefully
    Your reader
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!