Friday, August 10, 2012

ONYX by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx
Jennifer L. Armentrout

Rating: A+
Release Date: 08/14/12
Synopsis from goodreads.com:
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarre connection. I’ve sworn him off even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But against all common sense, I’m falling for him. Hard.

Our relationship issues aren’t out biggest problem…

The Department of Defense is here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we’re linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And when a new boy shows up a school with a secret of his own, things get complicated fast. I need to choose between my own instincts and Daemon’s.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. Daemon’s never going to stop searching until gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies.


Only click read more if you've read Obsidian. This review does contain spoilers for the first book in the series. If you haven't read Obsidian yet, then I weep for you. Go out and buy it now. You have no idea what you're missing. 



My thoughts on the book:
Wow. Just wow. Armentrout does it again with Onyx. I've begun to think that everything this woman writes is pure gold. Onyx is an action-packed emotional rollercoaster that will leave you wanting more. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire novel. I laughed and cried. Onyx is filled with suspense, and I couldn't figure out who was good and who was bad. Armentrout kept me guessing throughout the entire novel, and I, of course, loved seeing more of Katy and Daemon. This book cannot be missed. 

The character development throughout this novel is impressive. Katy grows immensely over the course of this book. She changes for the better, and she becomes stronger. She's still the same Katy we all know and love... just more. I can't wait to see how she continues to grow in the next book. Daemon also changes throughout the novel. I really liked his changes. He turned into a more three dimensional character in Onyx, and we get to see some of his weaknesses. As the dynamic between him and Katy shifts, we also get to see how they really feel about each other. These feelings lead to actions that allow us to know more about our two leading characters. All of these changes feel natural and not forced. In addition to Katy and Daemon, Dee is back, though we don't see as much of her as we did in Obsidian. I hope that she makes a big comeback in the next book. There are also some new character additions in Onyx, and these new characters will surprise you. 

The plot is intriguing and suspenseful. Once you start this book, you will not be able to put it down. It's nonstop action and adventure. Every time you think things are going to settle down or that Katy has figured something out, everything falls apart again. I was beginning to wonder how much more Katy could take. There wasn't just one climax once you've read the majority of the novel, there are several. Armentrout will lead you into a false sense of security a few times before she lets you go. The pacing is very fast, but nothing feels rushed. It speeds up as the novel progresses and toward the end, I'm pretty sure I was white-knuckling my Kindle because of the suspense. The ending answered most of the questions that were posed in this novel, but there is room for the next book. It leaves you wondering what's going to happen next with a certain situation, but it stopped before any more action could take place instead of stopping in the middle of the action. That, in my opinion, means there was no cliffhanger. 

Onyx will crack you up and rip your heart out all within a matter of pages. There are some very sad scenes, but Katy and Daemon offer a lot of comic relief, as usual. Their snarky banter always makes me laugh. They had plenty of obstacles to overcome in this novel. Not only did Armentrout test Katy and Daemon as characters, but she tested their feelings for each other over and over again. You'll be surprised at what they find out about themselves and their feelings through this process. 

Overall, I'd recommend this book (and series) to anyone. Onyx is fantastic. It's a stay-up-all-night, call into work sick/miss school so you can finish it type of novel. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Onyx as soon as it hits shelves. You won't be sorry. 

Want to pre-order Onyx?




7 comments:

  1. I'm so anxious to get my hands on Onyx! After reading your review I want to go back and reread Onsodian, just to get a little more Katy/Daemon time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Author, Amazing writing, Amazing characters! Loved this book :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome sounds really good thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm completely obsessed with this book... and Daemon!.. and really every single book from Jennifer! Onyx is one of my favorite reads ever! I want to re-read it over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED Daemon in this book!! and it was filled with funny Daemon-Katy moments, which i think were amazing XD
    I seriously cannot wait for Opal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review!>3 I must read Onyx but I'm afraid I can't survive until Opal is published.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was on edge the whole book waiting for Katy and Daemon to get together! The first book left me all with all kinds of angst.... the second book didn't disappoint, but this book was frustrating for me and left me wanting to punch my kindle about 20 times with Katy's less than intelligent choices.

    Cath Brookes (Skagway)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!