Sunday, August 16, 2015

THE VEIL by Chloe Neill

Rating: F
Synopsis:
Seven years ago, the Veil that separates humanity from what lies beyond was torn apart, and New Orleans was engulfed in a supernatural war. Now, those with paranormal powers have been confined in a walled community that humans call the District. Those who live there call it Devil's Isle.

Claire Connolly is a good girl with a dangerous secret: she’s a Sensitive, a human endowed with magic that seeped through the Veil. Claire knows that revealing her skills would mean being confined to Devil’s Isle. Unfortunately, hiding her power has left her untrained and unfocused.

Liam Quinn knows from experience that magic makes monsters of the weak, and he has no time for a Sensitive with no control of her own strength. But when he sees Claire using her powers to save a human under attack—in full view of the French Quarter—Liam decides to bring her to Devil’s Isle and the teacher she needs, even though getting her out of his way isn’t the same as keeping her out of his head.

But when the Veil threatens to shatter completely, Claire and Liam must work together to stop it, or else New Orleans will burn…


My thoughts on the book:
The Veil is one of the biggest disappointments of the year. I was looking forward to getting a fresh start with Ms. Neill since I tired of the Chicagoland Vampire Series after that ridiculous nonsense with Ethan. I really loved her YA series, but for some reason the publishers and author decided not to complete it. I was hoping that this book would be as intriguing as the early Chicagoland Vampire books, but it was not. There was so much description that I was bored to tears. I actually fell asleep once while reading this book, and it was the middle of the day! I read until the end, hoping that something amazing would happen, but I was let down again. This book had a lot of potential. Unfortunately almost none of it was realized. 

Claire was a pretty dull leading lady. Of course we had a grad student (linguistics instead of English this time), but Tadji was Claire's best friend. Claire didn't stand out much. She could supposedly fix things, but I didn't see her put a single thing back together successfully. Gunnar was the token gay friend, and Liam was a really boring love interest. Sure he's a bounty hunter and that should make him bad ass, but he was just meh. I liked Tadji the best, to be honest, but we didn't get to see a ton of her. 

There was so much description that the pacing was thrown completely off. For some ungodly reason, Neill felt the need to describe every speck of dirt on every single block. And if we happened to return to the same block, she'd describe every speck of dirt AGAIN, like we hadn't just been there 5 pages ago. I get it. New Orleans looks like crap because of what happened. I didn't need it beat into my head by 2-3 page long descriptions every scene. I started skimming over the insanely long descriptions after the first 75% of the book. I just couldn't take it anymore. Not much really happened. Basically boring Claire and dull Liam ran around in circles looking for wraiths and having no chemistry. What happened to the steaming hot sexual tension between Merit and Ethan? Did Neill use all of that up in her other series? There was absolutely nothing between Claire and Liam. Maybe if Claire had quit gawking at her surroundings like some redneck tourist and paid attention to Liam instead of analyzing specks of dirt, things could have been different, but that didn't happen. The ending was so uneventful that I don't even remember it, and I finished the book last night. 

Overall I did not enjoy this book. I know that a lot of people seemed to like it, and I'm sure that those of you who like tons of description and world-building will love it, but the novel just wasn't for me. I think I'll be skipping this series. 

1 comment:

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!