Wednesday, September 12, 2018

I DO NOT TRUST YOU by Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz

Rating: F
Synopsis:
Memphis "M" Engle is stubborn to a fault, graced with an almost absurd knowledge of long lost languages and cultures, and a heck of an opponent in a fight. In short: she's awesome.

Ashwin Sood is a little too posh for her tastes, a member of an ancient cult (which she’s pretty sure counts for more than one strike against him), and has just informed Memphis that her father who she thought was dead isn’t and needs her help. 

From the catacombs of Paris to lost temples in the sacred forests, together they crisscross the globe, searching for the pieces of the one thing that might save her father. But the closer they come to saving him—and the more they fall for one another—the closer they get to destroying the world.


My thoughts on the book:
Normally I like a book with a lot of intrigue and adventure, but this book just fell flat for me. The main problem was that I was unable to achieve a willing suspension of disbelief, which made me not even believe the story to start with. I just kept thinking that the entire scenario was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard of and how unlikely that is to actually happen. It did not work for me at all. I also really didn't like the characters. The writing was choppy, and the random switching of the third person limited POV got confusing because the voice didn't change at all.

M was boring, condescending, and just flat out rude most of the time. My dad died at the beginning of this year, and even I couldn't find any sympathy for her. And to be sooooooo smart (she was a total know-it-all), she did a lot of really dumb things. And who goes by M? That is annoying within itself. Ash didn't seem to have two brain cells to rub together, and he also did a lot of stupid things. The secondary characters were hardly there and when they were, they were stereotypes and also annoying.

The entire concept of this book is just ludicrous. I couldn't believe that any of it would actually happen. Everything was just so unbelievable and nothing felt thought through at all. It was just ridiculous. The pacing was also slow since M was stalling constantly, and as I mentioned, the writing wasn't engaging. The romance felt forced and just not natural, too. Everything about this book just fell flat for me.

I know some people have enjoyed this novel, but unfortunately it wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!