Friday, September 28, 2018

UNCHAINED by J. Lynn

Rating: B+
Synopsis:
Between the pissed off creatures that want demon-hunter Lily Marks dead and the fallen angel who just...wants her, Lily is about ready to trade in forever for a comfy job in a cubicle farm.

The fact that she and Julian are civil to one another is enough to have her thrown out of the Sanctuary, but she can't shake her not-so-angelic stalker or how he brings her dangerously close to ecstasy.

Her forbidden relationship with Julian provides the perfect fuel for suspicion when a traitor is discovered to be working within the Sanctuary. Lily quickly finds herself hunted by well, everyone.

Her only hope is to discover the real traitor before she loses everything--and she'll need Julian's help. That is, if Julian is really there to help her...and not destroy her.


Yeah, being a Nephilim isn't everything it's cracked up to be.

My thoughts on the book:
According to the information at the end of this novel, this was the first book that Jennifer L. Armentrout wrote, and when I think about it, it's obvious that she hadn't developed her voice 100% when writing this. The novel itself is a great read, and the writing is good. The characters are interesting and flawed and humorous in a way that only JLA can pull off, but her big reveal, while shocking, was a little obvious. Usually in her novels, she surprises me, at least a little bit.

I really liked Lily, though she made me mad a couple of times due to her prejudice that she'd had beat into her, more or less, since day 1. Overall, she was a good leading character, though, and unapologetically herself. She didn't try to change for anyone, and she did what was right for her (for the most part). She was brave in many ways and selfless, though at times she was too selfless. Julian was also a really complex character, and I absolutely adored him. The entirety of his story surprised me, and it made me love him even more when it was revealed at the end of the novel. They made a great couple, and their chemistry was through the roof. The secondary characters felt like real people instead of cardboard cutouts, which is something JLA has always excelled at.

The pacing of the story was pretty spot-on. My main contention with the story was that about 3/4 of the way through, it became glaringly obvious who the traitor was. Usually JLA is sneakier than that, and the big reveal was still shocking due to the reaction of the traitor, and everything the traitor did was actually more twisted than I'd thought. That being said, the lack of surprise is what made me give this book a B+. The writing was entertaining and engrossing, and like all JLA books, once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. I also think the story really shows what happens when you assume certain traits about people, or in this case supernatural beings, based on their race alone, and that's always a good reminder to have in a book.

Overall, I'd recommend this novel to anyone who is a JLA fan and who loves urban fantasies with flawed yet wonderful characters and a lot of steamy romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!