Sunday, January 22, 2012

In My Mailbox #1

So I've been seeing these In My Mailbox posts for awhile, and it seems like a fun thing. Therefore, I'm going to give it a try. The only thing I got in my mailbox this week, though, was textbooks. So I'm going to do "On My Kindle" instead.


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme brought to you by The Story Siren.




Click read more to see what I got on my Kindle this week!










The Universal Mirror by Gwen Perkins
Synopsis: 
On the island of Cercia, the gods are dead, killed by their followers and replaced with the study of magic. Magicians are forbidden to leave their homeland. Laws bind these men that prevent them from casting spells on the living—whether to harm or to heal. 


Quentin, a young nobleman, challenges these laws out of love for his wife. His best friend, Asahel, defies authority at his side, unaware that the search for this lost magic will bring them both to the edge of reason, threatening their very souls. The Universal Mirror shows how far two men are willing to go for the sake of knowledge and what they will destroy to obtain it.




Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Synopsis:
Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human. 


And then every day in between . . .She's something else entirely. 


Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism. 


When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive. . .and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process.


You can read my review of Every Other Day here.






Embrace by Jessica Shirvington
Synopsis:


My girl,
Happy 17th birthday. I wish I could be there with you, but I think if you ar reading this...I am not. For that, I am sorry. The day your dad and I found out we were going to have a baby was the happiest day of my long life. I know the only day that will exceed that joy will be the day you are born – no matter how that day ends.
A big decision lies ahead. The burden of the covenant is a heavy one to bear. Choose with your heart, for I already know that you, my girl, must let your heart guide the way.
I love you. Please forgive me.
Mom



Emerald City by Alicia K Leppert - ARC received from Net Galley 
Synopsis:
Olivia's sad, solitary life in Seattle comes dangerously close to ending one fateful night, if not for a neighbor saving her in the nick of time. Curious about her mysterious rescuer, she seeks him out in hope of getting some answers, but instead finds something she never thought she'd have again.








Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown - ARC received from Net Galley
Synopsis:
Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.



On The Day I Died by Candice Fleming - ARC received from Net Galley 
Synopsis:
The phenomenally versatile, award-winning author, Candace Fleming, gives teen and older tween readers ten ghost stories sure to send chills up their spines. Set in White Cemetery, an actual graveyard outside Chicago, each story takes place during a different time period from the 1860's to the present, and ends with the narrator's death. Some teens die heroically, others ironically, but all due to supernatural causes. Readers will meet walking corpses and witness demonic posession, all against the backdrop of Chicago's rich history—the Great Depression, the World's Fair, Al Capone and his fellow gangsters.



What did you get in your mailbox this week?!

7 comments:

  1. Ohh, Embrace & Lies Beneath sound pretty good! Happy Reading! :D
    -Heather@BookStacksOnDeck
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, all of those sound really interesting! I agree that Lies Beneath sounds particularly good. Following you back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to start reading some mermaid books! Lies Beneath looks so good! I've got Every Other Day next in line to be read, I'll have to check out your review to see what I should prepare for. Great mailbox!

    Kelly
    In My Mailbox @ Radiant Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lies Beneath looks like such a good book! :) I really really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. embrace looks so good! i got it too!

    come enter my ALA Midwinter ARC giveaway! lots of prize packs!

    http://www.lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/ala-midwinter-recap-in-my-mailbox.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great set! I'm really intrigued by Every Other Day. I hope to get it soon.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read Embrace and Lies Beneath - both look and sound amazing!

    great books and happy reading!

    http://theladycriticslibrary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!