Friday, January 13, 2012

SHATTERED SOULS by Mary Lindsey

Shattered Souls
Mary Lindsey

Grade: A+


Description from goodreads.com:


A thrilling debut story of death, love, destiny and danger

Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries.

Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon.


My thoughts on the book:
I love, love, loved this book! I was completely blown away by the story and my attachment to the characters. Lenzi is easy to relate to and sympathize with. Her father killed himself because he was schizophrenic, so when Lenzi starts hearing voices, she obviously thinks she has the same problem. She's terrified throughout much of the novel, afraid that she's going to end up like her father while unraveling the mysteries of her past. She's a speaker, but something went wrong in her reincarnation, and she doesn't remember anything. This causes many problems and puts her in terrible danger. Shattered Souls  is one of those books that had me laughing, crying, and staying up all night to read it. There were many surprises that I didn't see coming in this story, and I can only hope that there is a sequel!


Lindsey did a terrific job of creating the characters. Her leading lady, Lenzi, is terrific and believable. She doesn't just jump right into the paranormal thing, and even after she helps some souls, she's still not 100% convinced that she's just not crazy like her dad. I liked her reaction to the news much more than I have many paranormal books in which the person finds out about the paranormal and takes it with a grain of salt. I'm sorry, but if I some stranger came up to me in a cemetery and told me I talked to dead people, I'd run far far away... much like Lenzi did. It took her a long time to trust Alden and know that he's not crazy, and I liked that about her. 


Alden is a terrific hero. He's brave, honest, and protective over Lenzi. He is a bit aloof, but it's obvious that he'd do anything in the world for her. He protects her with no regard for his own life. I think the world would be a better place if there were more Aldens in it. Just sayin'. 


Zak is not my favorite character, but I don't think he's supposed to be. He really got on my nerves a few times, but there were also parts in which I felt bad for him. Over all, for no more than he was in the novel, he was very well-developed. You just sit back and watch as his character spirals out of control. Lindsey does a great job at showing Zak's deterioration. She has the events happen at just the right pace. 


The story itself kept me on the edge of my seat and left me hoping there is a sequel. Lenzi's mysterious past has many layers and is quite complex. It takes the entire novel to unravel all of her mysteries, and I really liked that. I didn't get bored at all, and this was a rather quick read for me because I could not put it down. Seriously, you wouldn't have been able to pry this book out of my hand with a crow bar until I got to the end. The sacrifices Lenzi makes are impressive, and by the end of the book, she's grown immensely as a character. 


Shattered Souls an emotional roller coaster that keeps you guessing from the first page until the last. You do not want to miss out on this ride!


Want to read Shattered Souls?


Amazon


Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!