Wednesday, January 25, 2012

KISS OF FROST by Jennifer Estep

Kiss of Frost
Jennifer Estep

Grade: A+


Description from goodreads.com:
Logan Quinn was try­ing to kill me. My Spar­tan class­mate relent­lessly pur­sued me, swing­ing his sword at me over and over again, the shin­ing sil­ver blade inch­ing closer to my throat every time. A smile tugged up his lips, and his ice-blue eyes prac­ti­cally glowed with the thrill of battle... 

I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Acad­emy, and I have no idea how I’m going to sur­vive the rest of the semes­ter. One day, I’m get­ting schooled in sword­play by the guy who broke my heart—the drop-dead gor­geous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invis­i­ble archer in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties decides to use me for tar­get prac­tice. And now, I find out that some­one at the acad­emy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword—with Logan’s help—I just might die by the sword...


For those of you who haven't read Touch of Frost yet, I'm going to cut this so I don't spoil it for you. PS YOU  MUST READ TOUCH OF FROST! 


My thoughts on the book:
I simply ADORED this book! I seriously finished it in one day because it was just that good. Estep has created some of my favorite characters in YA literature with Gwen and Logan. Daphne is okay, and I like her just fine, but I really love Gwen and Logan! 


In Kiss of Frost, we learn more about Gwen's gypsy gift and her background. We also learn more about Logan, but he still doesn't let us know about his past. That's okay with me because the pacing of relationships in this book is natural and slow, instead of rushed and instantaneous. Gwen is still pining after Logan. Logan is dating Savannah, an Amazon. Because of this, for a lot of the book, Gwen isn't that happy. But she doesn't just lay down and try to die like many of the YA characters *coughBellaSwancough*, she still goes to Winter Carnival and has a great time. She meets a hot guy from the New York Academy and things seem to be looking up.


However, Gwen can't ignore the fact that someone almost ran her over and that Jasmine's family is still out to avenge her death. Gwen gets caught in an avalanche, and things seem to keep getting worse. There's a Reaper out to get her. The only problem is that no one knows who that Reaper is. 


The character development in this book is fantastic. Estep does a terrific job of showing Gwen grow while still leaving a lot of room for further development. Logan also grows quite a bit, and we find out a lot about how he really feels about Gwen. It's adorable to say the least. I love Logan. Also, Daphne and Gwen's friendship has grown, along with Daphne's powers. Daphne is a great friend for Gwen, and it's clear that she really cares about her. Gwen also cares a lot for Daphne, and I really liked their interactions in the novel. 


I was also happy to see a lot of Gwen's grandmother in this novel. I think she's a fantastic character, and I'm glad she was present more than she was in the previous book. I also enjoyed getting to know some of Logan's friends. Especially Oliver. He was a very noble character. When it mattered, he did what was right. I hope to see more of him in the future. 


This book was fast paced and a very quick read. There was plenty of action and enough mystery to keep me guessing throughout the entire thing. I had the whole Reaper thing figured out, but that didn't spoil it for me. I still didn't know exactly what would happen, who all would be involved, and when it would all go down. The result ended up being even better than I'd anticipated. The ending set up Dark Frost perfectly, but wasn't a cliff-hanger. I felt that most of the questions raised in this novel were answered by the end, and I believe it was wrapped up nicely. 


I seriously loved this book, and if you aren't familiar with this series, then you are missing out. I can't wait for Dark Frost  so that I can see what Gwen, Logan, Daphne, and Oliver get into next!


Want to check out Kiss of Frost for yourself?

2 comments:

  1. I loved this series it was AWESOME!!! Jennifer Estep is an amazing author. I just have to read her other books especially if they are like the Mythos Academy series!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing. I can't believe I've never heard of this book before. Great review

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!